1 year steroid free

So its now has officially 100%, been a year since corticosteroids have touched my skin!
What a milestone... Anyone who has been through 5 minutes of TSW knows that year of this is a HUGE victory!

I had begun to write this post two weeks ago. It had a very ho-hum depressing tone. But an interesting turn of events has lead to a more chipper post!

So since my last post I was not using as much creams...but was still using enough. How I dreaded showering...I hate the feeling of lotion on my skin.  I hate the feeling of greasiness. So I started to use a bit less each day. And oddly when I woke up in the morning when my skin was the 'driest' it felt the best. 

Then I received a 'friendly' reminder about the effects of 'moisture withdrawal'. For those new to the term, its basically cessation of all creams, lotions ,oils and the like.  Sounds like a total nightmare for an eczema patient.

We are so conditioned to think dry skin needs lotion.  Seems completely logical.
So after my 'ftiendly' reminder about MW, I decided I was going to do it full throttle for 30 days.  I have never done MW completely...I think at most I did it two weeks...and certainly was cheating on some days. I had tried it earlier on for about a month, but now that I think about it was doing baths with oils in them and once again cheating.  Also I was not mentally as strong as I am now. Tsw can take a toll on your pain tolerance... So I completely understand how one would not want to subject themselves to any more pain.

I have been doing MW for about two weeks now.  And will be posting a day to day update of my 30 day MW journey, but this is just a little summary.

At first it wasn't as bad as I thought. I would wrap myself up right after I got out of the shower and attempt to stay warm, so my skin wouldn't dry up like the dessert.

Then things started to get tougher.  My skin was sweating randomly and then I started getting deeper cuts in my hands. That wasn't very impressive but only lasted a day or two.

My day 5 I was cool. I looked forward to showers...I love how the skin drys out and then flakes off and reveals smooth skin.
My skin looked way better.

I am a chronic scarf wearer and have had no need to wear one at home now. Or to bed.
For the first time since summer my skin feels like it's actually healing.

Now this could be because I am a year in..
And I am sure that plays a part. But for the past 6 months...nothing has improved, and within one, two weeks of not using my trusty creams all has improved... Yah, I think MW has just a tiny part to play in that haha

Now when I get out of the shower my skin doesn't get all tight and gross. I honestly can't believe this.

My redness is way down, scratching way down... Shedding... Way down... Lol

So I encourage you if you haven't tried MW, do it...for 30 days. I read someone said...we are already uncomfortable using the creams...

I wish I had been more determined the other times I tried it.  But hey we live and learn, nothing before its time... And lucky me spring has sprung so I will be getting some sun and warmth as well.

I just want to express how happy I am!  How normal my day and life feels

The draw back with this is that my skin looks quite ashy. So I kind of hate going out because I look drier than usual.  But as each day passed I can see its getting better.  One of the days I was quite depressed I looked so dry, but then I thought about how bad I felt with lotions. So its a trade off. If I feel good, I am not as concerned with how I look.

At 1 year in I thought I would be healed, but atleast I feel good at 1 year in!
I can deal with feeling good!

Here's to what 18 months brings!!
These pics are all about 10 minutes after showering... So this would be the driest point, and most uncomfortable time.  Everything feels good, my neck hurt a bit to look up like that but if I twist my head a couple times the feeling goes away. Or just massage my skin!

Comments

  1. Hi Vee! Long time no talk. I just posted on Dan's blog comment as well but just in case you don't see it: Moisturizer withdrawal for the win! Your skin looks great! And just wanted to recommend Dead Sea Salt baths. They're so freaking expensive but worth it I think. I feel so repetitive now but check out my last blog post where I finally caved to Dan and tried them. Anyway, I'll make sure to add you to my blog list so we can keep in touch!

    We've been on this parallel path for so long. I hope we can heal soon!! I feel like it's closer by the day... I'm getting excited can you tell? lol.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan!

      It has been a while!! I too and so excited and amped to heal. I am flaring at the moment but honestly its minor... It was rough for two days but nothing compared to bed ridden days...I am never bed ridden anymore :), yes do keep in touch!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts